Out with the new and in with the old

How many of you have heard of, is it, Marie Condo? I haven't read anything about her but have gathered from Instagram that she just might be a minimalist.  When moving to the country, I did a huge purge. It was my opportunity to touch every item in our home and say, "Do I really need this? Have I used it in the last six months?" While we came with less to the country, the purging still continued. Not only was I tired of trying to find a home for everything, I was out of space and still had too much. I figured if families of six to about 14 people lived here, I surly could find a way to have what I need for a family of five without having a storage unit.

While being more aware of collecting things or buying just because it "was a good deal" is helpful when trying to declutter, it has personally made my first instinct to pitch something without thinking. I get so caught up in trying to be 100% of something, like a minimalist, that I loose sight of balance and reality. 

Temperatures warmed up the other week and I was dying to get outside and start tidying up the yard. We've been talking about getting another dumpster this year and as I was getting out in the yard, barn, basement, and garage I was taking mental notes of things that really need to go. In our basement has been an older style wicker table and chairs. I've been saying we needed to get it along with a lot of foam board out of our basement. For some reason I never thought that I should use that table. I assumed it wasn't any good, that it wasn't my style, and it wasn't ours so why keep it.

For all of the antique mall shopping I do, you would think I would have looked at it and said, " I'll fix it up!" While it took me awhile, I finally had my ah-ha moment.
I drug the table and chairs out, washed and dried them and found them a home on our patio. As I placed the last chair on the navy and tan palm rug, I found myself so content. The Golden Girl lover in me wants to call the patio area a lanai but even cooler I have a piece from a past owner here in use.  That table is now a nod to someone who once cared for the home like we do now. 

While decluttering is absolutely freeing, just don't miss the opportunity to up cycle something you might otherwise buy.

xoxo
Danielle

Comments